White Bean Chicken Chili; The Ultimate Comfort in a Bowl
Who doesn’t need a dish that brings the taste of comfort? In this easy recipe for white bean chicken chili, I’ll show you have to make a smooth mellow meal for the entire family. My littles love to scoop this recipe up with freshly baked cornbread. It’s a total crowdpleaser that simmers away in your crockpot. Set and forget, so you can do all of your other things.
Disclaimer: This post contains some affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my links.
Does your family have a favorite?
Favorite dishes for my family include flavorful meals, with traditional tastes. We love things with a high variety of textures and shapes. The thick creaminess of this chili makes it an ultra comfort food. Served in big batches, you can feed up to 6 at a time with this recipe.
Personally, I love to cook. I’ve made yellow rice, butternut squash lasagna, and even hearty beef stew. It’s always great to make a low-key meal every once in a while, especially when your family just gobbles it up.
Because we are so busy…
If you’re anything like me, you want a delicious meal, but don’t always have time babysit the oven. What I like about this recipe is that the white bean chicken chili sits lovingly in the crockpot for 6 hours, or until you’re ready to eat it. More often than not, I’ll set up the recipe, go handle my work from home jobs, and then come back at the end of the day to serve the family. Thus, this dish works perfectly for my hungry bunch.
What’s in it?
The recipe calls specifically for white beans but can be subbed for northern beans in a pinch. Speaking of which, since there are ingredients like beans and cream cheese, this recipe is really filing. The flavors work together to create a happy hug for the taste buds. You can spice it up with slices of jalapeno, or cool it off with sour cream. Typically, my kids will eat it just the way it is, only with a slice of cornbread as mentioned above.
Additionally, there are pallet pleasing spices such as oregano, and cumin. Whole kernel corn adds a slight sweetness as well. You’ll find yourself making this chili very frequently because it is that good.
Products from Amazon.com
Price: $28.40Was: $39.99
Cook your chicken before putting it in the slow cooker.
Although you could put raw, cubed chicken breast into your slow cooker, I recommend preparing the chicken first. I like to brown the pieces in a hot skillet before adding it to the recipe. Furthermore, this little change makes for a huge flavor and texture difference in the white bean chicken chili. Trust me, it’s worth the noticeable enhancement.
So, now let’s get to the recipe. It always brings me happiness to share things that help within my household, and this easy slow cooker meal is no exception. Take care.
White Bean Chicken Chili
Prep: 10 minutes
Cook: Stovetop 10 minutes, Slow cooker 6 hours
- 2 tbs. cooking oil
- 1 lb boneless skinless chicken breasts (cut into 1/2 inch pieces)
- 1/2 yellow onion (diced)
- 2 Tsp. minced garlic
- 1 can diced green chiles (4 oz., drained)
- 1 can whole kernel corn (15.25 oz., drained)
- 24 oz. chicken broth (low sodium)
- 1 can white beans (15.5 oz., drained)
- 1/4 tsp cayenne pepper
- 1 tsp cumin
- 3/4 tsp oregano
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp salt
- 1/2 tsp black pepper
- Optional* 4 oz. cream cheese (softened)
- Optional * small handful fresh cilantro chopped
- Optional* 1 green onion
- First, add cooking oil to a large non-stick pan, and heat to medium.
- Next, add chicken and continue cooking until brown. (Approximately 7 minutes.)
- Remove chicken from heat and set aside.
- Add garlic, chilies, corn, chicken broth, beans, cayenne pepper, cumin, oregano, chili powder, salt, and black pepper to a large slow cooker.
- Then, set the slow cooker on high.
- Stir all ingredients in the slow cooker until well mixed.
- Next, add cooked chicken.
- Cover and let simmer on high for up to 6 hours.
- 30 minutes before turning off slow cooker, add cream cheese and cilantro.
- Lastly, top with green onion and enjoy.