I am such a fan of sweet potatoes. First of all, they can be eaten sweet, or savory. Furthermore, they are filling and nutritious. Rich, full of flavor… How many more adjectives should be used? Thus, I simply adore them! And, because of my love, my favorite thing to do is make sweet potato pie.
Please note: This post contains some affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my links.
Are there benefits to sweet potato pie?
In addition to tasting phenomenal, this recipe for sweet potato pie also turns yesterday’s side into today’s dessert. I used leftover, plain, baked sweet potatoes and totally transformed them. So crazy, huh? It goes without saying, that being resourceful is part of any parent’s household job.
Another benefit of making this recipe, (and it’s no understatement), is that hearts have been won. I’ve converted chocolate lovers, as well as cake enthusiasts. All and all, a truly beautiful thing.
Did we mention there’s whipped topping?
It goes to show, that no pie is complete without a topping. This is the ultimate time to show the kids the difference between liquids and solids. Making this recipe will be a teachable moment, as well as a tasty one. Thats because we’ll be making the topping from scratch and it starts with liquid heavy cream. As you mix it and incorporate air, it will turn into a solid. Hence, this is why kids really get a kick out of the process.
So, enough is enough, I’ll finish up so you can get started. All things aside, make sure to share this with all your friends. Also, don’t forget about our newsletter. Additionally, you’ll want to join to keep up with all of our recipes and parenting tips. And as always, remember the motto: When your hands are full, enjoy your life to the fullest.a
Recipe for Sweet Potato Pie:
Prep: 20 minutes
Bake: 45 minutes
Cool: 1 hour on counter, overnight in fridge
- 2 large sweet potatoes (previously baked)
- 3 eggs
- 1 cup evaporated milk
- 3/4 cup dark brown sugar (packed)
- 1 tsp cinnamon
- 1/4 tsp nutmeg
- 1 pinch ground ginger
- 1 pre-made graham cracker crust
- 1 cup heavy whipping cream
- 1/2 tsp pure vanilla extract
- To start, heat your oven to 350F.
- Then, take all ingredients listed under filling and blend together in a large mixing bowl.
- Next, pour filling into pre-made graham cracker crust.
- Bake for 45 minutes.
- Meanwhile, prepare the whipped topping by mixing the cream and pure vanilla extract with an electric mixer until stiff peaks are formed.
- Place the whipped topping in the fridge until the pie has completely cooled.
- Finally, place the topping on top of the cooled pie and refrigerate overnight.