Sweet Potato Pasta with Indulgent Brown Butter
Have you had one of those days when you just didn’t know what to cook for dinner? Well that happened to me not too long ago. We were still two days away from grocery day; and, there was simply no time to make an unplanned trip the store. Luckily, I ran across this super indulgent recipe from Table for Two, for brown butter sweet potato pasta.
Please note: This post contains some affiliate links. I am compensated if you make a purchase using my affiliate links.
As said before, there was no time to buy special ingredients and dinner was right around the corner. Because of that, I’m extremely happy that this recipe uses regular items that were already in my kitchen. We’ve modified our version to include roasted chicken, but that is totally optional. In addition, if you have any dairy, or gluten allergies, you can alter by using unsweetened soy milk, and gluten free noodles.
How do you make brown butter?
It’s very simple to make brown butter. You simply melt butter on the stove and cook at a medium low temperature until it turns a nice mellow brown. Please do not to rush this process. The key is low and slow. Making the mistake of overheating the butter will cause it to separate. It will then be unusable for this dish. Take your time and let it brown gradually.
With that being said, keep in mind that this dish only takes about 30 minutes to make. Perfect for a busy day; yet, completely filling and flavorful as a meal. As a matter of fact, to keep up with all of our recipes don’t forget to sign up for our newsletter here.
Still craving more sweet potato recipes, right now? I’ve got you covered. Click here to see instantly. So, without further ado, I’ll present our version for brown butter sweet potato pasta. Thanks again, Julie from Table for Two for the inspiration.
Brown Butter Sweet Potato Pasta
Stovetop: High for boiling the sweet potatoes. Medium Low for sauce.
Prep: 15 minutes
Cook: 40 minutes
- 1 pound pasta, already cooked according to the package. (We used elbows)
- 4 tbsp. unsalted butter, browned
- 2 medium sweet potatoes, cubed
- 1 1/2 cups milk
- 3/4 cup Parmesan cheese
- 1 cup chicken stock (Can sub for water)
- 4 tbsp. all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp. of garlic powder
- 1 tbs. of thyme
- 1/2 tbs. of rosemary
- Approximately 2 cups of roasted chicken breast, cubed
- Salt and pepper, to taste.
- In a small pot, add butter.
- Cook, while stirring occasionally, on medium low until it turns golden brown. (About 10 minutes.)
- Set aside to cool.
- Then, in a very large pot, add sweet potatoes and enough water to cover.
- Turn stovetop on high and bring to a boil.
- Continue boiling until the sweet potatoes are fork tender. (about 20 minutes from start to finish.)
- Drain with colander and set aside.
- Meanwhile, as the potatoes are boiling, in a separate large non-stick pan, add milk, chicken stock, flour, garlic powder, thyme, rosemary, and water. This will be the base of the sauce and the stovetop for this should be set to medium low.
- Once heated add the parmesan cheese. Stir until everything is evenly combined.
- Turn off heat but do not remove from stove.
- Now, return to the sweet potatoes. Mash the heck out of them until nice and smooth.
- Add smashed sweet potatoes and roasted chicken to sauce pan.
- Pour in that glorious brown butter and stir until thoroughly incorporated.
- Finally, add the previously cooked pasta and mix well.