Fullest Fifteen: Introducing Song Writer Suzie Brown
For some, music is an outlet. For other’s, it’s an unpredictable part of a higher calling. On this addition of Fullest Fifteen, I’m introducing song writer Suzie Brown. She’s a down to earth musician, mother of two, TEDMED conference speaker, and certified cardiologist. Be prepared, her talents have taken her on many paths throughout her life. She is the prime example that nothing can stop you if you’re heart is true.
Her outlook on life: Sometimes you don’t know what’s going to make you happy. You just have to be open to change and open to adjusting your dreams. For the first time in my life, I don’t feel like I’m working towards something else. When someone asks me what I want to do in five years, I kind of just want to keep doing this.
We’re interviewing song writer Suzie Brown. Here’s her song titled “Almost There.”
Want to purchase this or other songs? Visit here: https://suziebrown.bandcamp.com/music
Now that you’ve listened to one of her songs, let’s proceed with the interview.
Round 1: Intro
1. What is the name of your latest released song? I just released an album called, “Sometimes Your Dreams Find You.”
2. What is it about? It’s about love, and family, and finding happiness in unexpected ways.
3. How many children do you have? 2 – Josephine (3) and Chloe (1).
4. Did your music start before or after your first child? Way before! It was born out of a need to express loneliness, and sadness, and all of the things I didn’t feel comfortable talking about.
5. Do your children attribute to the content of your songs? In this album for sure…
6. How? I tend to write about what’s really going on in my life – I’ve never been the kind of writer who can make up intricate stories about people or things that don’t exist. A lot of the struggles and joys of my life over the last few years have been related to my children, so they’re all over this album.
Round 2: Would You Rather…
I’m interviewing song writer Suzie Brown. As a musician, doctor, and mother, her days are full. Let’s find out a little more.
7. Would you rather skip coffee for a week straight or forget your lines in public? Oh, definitely skip coffee for a week (I don’t drink caffeine anyway)! I’m a practice-a-suarus. I love/need to be prepared.
8. Favs for the home, yoga pants or dress with pockets? Yoga pants for sure. I’m always bending over and crawling on the floor with my kids. And it’s hard to nurse in a dress.
9. What activities does your family like to do best? Depends who you ask. My kids love swimming. We all love eating and sleeping.
10. Indoors or outdoors? I’m a big outdoors person. My husband is a fan of the great indoors. Our kids love both. So we compromise.
Final Round: Inspirations
11. So, you just released a new album? Yes! It came out on May 12th.
12. Who do you hope to reach with it? Everyone of course, but I think it would really resonate with people who have love and family in their lives – not just romantic love either. There are songs about being a daughter, and a mom; in addition to being a girlfriend/wife.
13. What inspires you? Creatively? Really it’s just my feelings and reflections about my own life. Music is the way I process it all. And what inspires me in general? The people I love and respect – my husband, my children, my parents and siblings…
14. What’s a mommy tip you’ve learned along the way? This is a tip I learned from my other job (as a cardiologist) – whenever it feels like the sh*t is hitting the fan, I ask myself: “Is anyone dying?” and if the answer is no, I can convince myself to stay calm in almost any situation.
15. How do you live your life to the fullest? I think it’s all about being super honest with yourself about what’s important to you and what’s going to make you happy. And sticking to that, even if it’s not what other people would choose. Your calendar needs to reflect your priorities.
It’s a wrap.
This concludes the interview. I hope you liked it. Furthermore, my wish is for you to find inspiration while pursuing your dreams. As Suzie says, “Sometimes your dreams find you.”
If you’d like to be featured on a segment of Fullest Fifteen, please contact me here.