Fajita Cube Steak with DIY Fajita Seasoning
Fajita cube steak is an easy dinner recipe that can be made with minimal effort. I personally love cube steak for it’s ability to prepare quickly. There have been times when I’ve gotten completely carried away trying to work and utterly forget to meal prep. Seriously, it’s 4:30 in the afternoon and I haven’t even thawed anything. Luckily, this type of meat goes from freezer to pan fairly fast. It’s the perfect way to make a quick and easy steak dinner.
Moreover, cube steak goes well with a wide variety of sides. Chick peas, rice, peppers, and mushrooms….they all taste phenomenal together.
Now, if you haven’t gotten excited yet, this recipe also includes its own DIY fajita seasoning. That’s right, no more bland packages. You have total control to customize, and more importantly, doing it yourself tastes so much better. If you’re ready to pan sear some delicious goodness, wipe the drool from your mouth, and continue reading.
The magic is in the mix.
For this recipe of fajita cube steak, you will make your own fajita marinade. The meat should soak in this mixture for at least 5 minutes; but, if you desire a more intense flavor let it sit overnight. Either way, it’s completely delicious and makes dinner easy to prepare. Dried paprika and cumin are the star spices; while chili powder adds some kick. You can mellow out the flavor as needed.
Temperature is important, too.
As with any steak recipe, temperature of both the meat and the stovetop are important. The recipe starts from the freezer, but if you are starting with already thawed cube steak, let it sit at room temperature for at least 15 minutes. This is to remove the chill. You want to create a good sear on the outside while locking in all of the juices. That will not happen if ice cold meat is placed in the pan.
Evenly important, don’t overcook your meat. Cube steak is thin, thus it cooks rapidly. It even continues to cook after it’s removed from the pan and onto the plate. Trust when I say 5 minutes on each side is plenty.
I hope you’ll enjoy this recipe for fajita cube steak. Keep scrolling to view all of the steps. Lastly, let’s give thanks for the food we are blessed with, and the mouths that eat along beside us.
Fajita Cube Steak
Stovetop: Medium high
Prep: 5 minutes once thawed
Cook: 10 minutes
- 4 cube steak (approximately 4lbs.)
- 1 tbs worcheshire sauce
- 1/2 tsp chili powder
- 1 tsp cumin
- 1 tsp paprika
- 1/4 tsp garlic powder
- 1 tsp olive oil
- generous sprinkle of salt and pepper
- Remove cube steak from freezer and allow to set room temperature for 45 minutes. If necessary, run lukewarm water over the meat while still packaged.
- Mix worcheshire sauce, chili powder, cumin, paprika, garlic powder, salt, and pepper in large mixing bowl.
- Add cube steak to bowl and allow to marinate for at least 5 minutes.
- Meanwhile, add olive oil to a large skillet and place on stovetop.
- Preheat to medium high. For us that’s a 6. You want the pan nice and hot; but if you start to see smoke you should turn the temperature down.
- Once the pan is heated, place the steak into the skillet.
- After 5 minutes, flip cube steak to the other side.
- Cook for an additional 5 minutes then remove from heat.
- Finally, allow your fajita cube steak to rest on plate for 3-5 minutes before cutting.