Beef stew with celery stock, nothing compares!
Around the house, we have a ton of celery. I decided to grow food from kitchen scraps and now we are in an over abundance. Go figure. Ask and you shall receive, right? Anyways, we are winding down our week, and I always try to utilize all of our veggies. If they haven’t been eaten by grocery day, that morning I’m chopping and freezing. Besides, it’s brick cold outside so we need a recipe to warm things up. This classic beef stew with celery stock will keep you nice and warm, as well as give you big heaping dose of flavor.
Please note: This post contains some affiliate links. I may be compensated if you make a purchase using my links.
We’re a waste not, want not, type of family.
With that being said, this hearty beef stew hits all the right spaces. It’s so flavorful and warm. There’s something about the addition of celery that makes it exceptional. For that reason, the taste is sharp and distinct. Your tummy will crave this soup for days to come.
Try making it ahead of time
The stock portion of this recipe can be made ahead of time, up to 3 days. It can also be frozen for 1 month. I recommend making several batches and using it for other recipes. Additionally, you can customize the particular veggies to suit your family’s tastes. For instance, if you have a carrot lover in your midst, just use more of those and less of the celery. You control exactly what goes into your stew.
Make sure to share with your loved ones. Finally, as always, when your hands are full, live your life to the fullest.
Beef Stew with Celery Stock
Prep: 1 hour 45 minutes
Cook: 1 hour
- 4 quarts water
- 1 tablespoon olive oil
- 1 small onion (chopped)
- 10 celery stalks (chopped, leaves and all)
- 1/2 cup button mushrooms (chopped)
- 4 cloves of garlic
- 6 sprigs flat-leaf parsley
- 1 bay leaf
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1/4 tsp pepper
- 1 lb beef stew meat (cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 3 medium sized potatoes (peeled and cut into 1 inch cubes)
- 1 cup mixed veggies
- 1 tsp worcheshire sauce
- In a large pot, add oil, onion, celery, mushrooms, garlic, parsley, bay leaf, salt, and pepper.
- Sauté on medium until veggies are slightly softened and beginning to sweat.
- Add water and increase heat to boil.
- Reduce heat and cover.
- Simmer for 1 1/2 hours on low.
- Strain stock to remove solids. Save all the liquid.
- Return liquid to large soup pot.
- Add beef, potatoes, mixed veggies, and worcheshire sauce.
- Bring to boil.
- Reduce heat to low and simmer for 1 hour.