21 Ways a Busy Mom Can Reignite a Back to School Routine
Disclosure: This shop has been compensated by Collective Bias, Inc. and its advertiser. All opinions are mine alone. #SnackTimeDelight #CollectiveBias
Let’s face it, this time of year is very hectic. With all of the hustle and bustle of returning our kids to another round of academics, establishing a back to school routine seems like madness. Especially if you’re a busy mom like me with an agenda of your own. How do you keep things on-the-go and maintain your sanity? I have 21 ways to reignite your back to school mojo.
Step up your family’s back to school routine
In this post, you’ll see that the photos feature YoCrunch® Lowfat Yogurt Cookies ‘n Cream with OREO® Cookie Pieces as part of our routine. These easy-to-carry containers cater so well to our busy lifestyle. Smooth, low-fat yogurt includes America’s Favorite Cookie®. It’s so close (and possibly tastier) than dunking OREO® cookies into milk. They come in these convenient 4 count grab-and-go packages, perfect for when you’re on the move.
Before the kid’s wake
The first set of tips focuses on adjusting your back to school routine by making the mornings more productive. The trick to keeping things easy is to always plan ahead. If you think about your typical day, you know that the mornings set the tone. These simple tips are sure to put you in a highly motivated mindset that’s ready to address the rest of your busy lifestyle.
1. Wake up before everyone – There are so many benefits to starting the day before everyone else. Not only will you get to savor your coffee, you’ll have the opportunity to clear your head of grogginess.
2. Do not press snooze – It’s so much better for your momentum. Nothing says on-the-go like a brisk, powerful start.
3. Prep as much as possible the night before- Iron clothes, finish homework, and place keys in your purse the night before.
4. Pack good lunches with snacks – In regards to my kids’ lunches, I like to place YoCrunch® Lowfat Yogurt Cookies ‘n Cream with OREO® Cookie Pieces as part of their meal. It’s a ready-to-go snack that captures that signature OREO® cookie flavor.
Additional morning helpers
Now that it’s time to wake the kids, use these tips to help with the morning.
5. Allow extra time for the kids – When creating a schedule to leave the house, make sure to give the kids extra time. I take about 5 minutes to brush my own teeth; however, I count a 10-minute window for the kids.
6. Play a wake-up song – Nothing gets our group going like an upbeat song in the morning. The kids get 1 song before they put on their day clothes.
7. Batch cook breakfast – In addition to making lunches the night before, consider batch cooking breakfast ahead of time, too. Then use it throughout the week for an easy, already prepared solution.
8. Enjoy a second cup of coffee- Before we leave, I sip on a second cup of freshly brewed coffee with International Delight OREO® Creamer. You can tell our entire house enjoys the OREO® flavor and adding a splash of this creamer is an unexpected way to have a better-for-you treat. So, not only do we enjoy the taste with our yogurt, we get to enjoy it with our coffee, too. How does your coffee creamer stack up?
Get everyone involved
This next section of tips for an efficient back to school routine means getting everyone involved. Every person within the family should have a role. Let them all take part to get out the door on time. While you will have assign according to your child’s abilities, making it part of the routine is simple to do. Here are some pointers:
9. Location is everything – Have the kids put their shoes in the same location every day. This way, they can find them.
10. Stay consistent – Create a set order of events, each morning, so your child is less overwhelmed.
11. Add mindfulness and consideration – It may seem like a no-brainer but kids are more adventurous and empowered through the use of strategic encouragement.
12. Promote self-sufficiency – Praise your children when they do simple tasks on their own. It will help them to be more self-sufficient. For instance, my oldest can make everyone toast. My middle child can fill cups with water. And, my youngest can place napkins on the table. As a team, we all work together as part of our back to school routine.
13. Know what you’re supposed to carry – Each child knows what they are supposed to carry when walking out of the door. That means, backpacks, water bottles, and lunch boxes.
14. Group hug before walking out the door – It just makes everyone happy and on their way to have a great day.
Keep your energy throughout the day
Nothing helps a busy mom than sustainable energy. Just because the kids are off to school doesn’t mean you have to slow down. I know for my active lifestyle, I use my child’s school time to do client work and home errands. I’m fortunate enough that my youngest child still stays with me throughout the day, so having long-term energy is a must.
15. Nosh on a power snack – I mentioned above that YoCrunch® Lowfat Yogurt Cookies ‘n Cream with OREO® Cookie Pieces is great for the kids’ lunch, but it’s also an awesome midday snack for me. Having this convenient pick-me-up is great for when I’m on the move. It’s important to have the right snacks throughout the day to sustain your stamina.
16. Allow breaks between activities – When my to-do list is full of errands, I have to remember to allow breaks in between activities. My little one needs a few minutes to recharge as well; so we head back home and take a small pause.
17. Skip TV until nighttime – This helps so much with productivity and for me, keeps my energy levels higher.
18. Stay organized – Allow yourself an easy way to remain focused by staying organized. While you’re in the grind of your back to school routine, remove clutter and other obstacles that drain you.
Have a better carline experience
As part of a high-impact back to school routine, you need to know how to maneuver the carline. Right now, my school-aged children are at two separate campuses. Here’s how we make the best of it:
19. Use the bathroom before leaving – Sometimes carline can take a while.
20. Have the right supplies – I carry these items in my purse: Trash bag, extra snacks, hand sanitizer, a book, and sunglasses.
21. Be patient – At the beginning of the year, I see the most confusion from parent’s that are new to the school. Have patience and stay calm. Always drive slowly and look each time before releasing your car’s brake.
Where to purchase
You can purchase YoCrunch® Lowfat Yogurt Cookies ‘n Cream with OREO® Cookie Pieces and International Delight OREO® Creamer at Walmart, right in the dairy section. Walmart is great for getting all the things I need to make it through the day. And, if you’d rather stay in the car, Walmart’s Online Grocery Pickup is very convenient to use.
Enjoy when your children return to school
Going into a back to school routine is such a fun time for children. However, it’s so fast-paced that some parents become stressed and lose focus. By using the tips above, you can have more practical solutions to enjoy when your kids are back in school. If you have any other suggestions, let me know in the comments below.
Until next time, when your hands are full, live your life to the fullest.